So, I took Derek and Miranda to the eye doctor last Friday since Derek failed the test at school and Miranda has never been to one before. I told the optomologist that I suspected that Derek was red/green colorblind, so I wanted him to be tested. Sure enough, she pulled out her book with the colored circles that you are supposed to see the numbers in. Derek couldn't see ANY of them! He is also yellow/blue colorblind. She said, "He is 90, no, more like 100% colorblind". She said that he sees everything in shades of gray, but has learned that different shades are called different colors. I was surprized because he rarely has trouble saying what a color is. I think Larry doesn't completely believe it. I did see evidence today while I was looking at his homework. It was a sheet with about 12 turkeys on it and he was supposed to color them. He did them all right, except the Beige one was colored green! (I have read that many colorblind kids color people with green faces).
If that wasn't enough, he also has horrible vision- about 8 points of astigmatism in each eye. He will be getting glasses soon at half the strength, then a full strength lense about a month after those. Otherwise, she said that he would be running into walls! Oh, and one of his eyes is slightly pulled upwards (kind of like how some people's eyes turn in- it's just up, though).
All of this vision stuff is new to Larry and I since neither of us needs glasses yet. By the way, Miranda did fabulous on her test- she has great vision.
So, Miranda will need extensive othodontics and Derek has horrendous vision! What will be next?
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
yay for the blind people!!! I am not alone in the family any more. I have astigmatism too. Just not the colorblindness. Maybe I should paint my face green though, and then I could become the most favorite uncle.
Wow, that is crazy! I have heard that it comes from the men on the mothers side but I don't know if that is all true. In my family that is the case, My moms dad is, and all of his daughter's sons are including my brother. Does it run in your family?
hmm I wonder what Maddie's gonna need..
Derek looks great in his new glasses!
Post a Comment