I have been amazed the past few months at how much food our family is eating now. It seems like it all happened just about when the grocery store prices went up-- our kids started eating a lot more. Where a normal meal of potato soup, toast, fruit, and milk fed us all and made at least two leftover meals for Larry- now I'm having to double the recipe and we still don't get many leftovers! I've had to invest in a few extra large pots to cook with as well. I'm sure that I will eventually have to at least triple most of the portions I now make! Luckily, it doesn't take a lot longer to do so.
Fortunatly, the kids eat almost everything I make now. It's been a year since Larry came up with the treat reward: if you try what mommy wants you to try at dinner, you get a treat later that night! (This could be anything from steamed carrots to casserole). The treat reward came about because Larry and I were so frustrated that the kids refused to try things that we knew they would like. So, over the course of this year the kids have tried and decided to like many of the meals I make. Horray! The treats have been simple- popcorn, popcicle, ice cream, a peice of candy- you get the idea. Now Derek really likes tacos and meatballs. Miranda has ate EVERY reward food so far (though there have been a few she just couldn't bring herself to finish).
On a personal note, I am amazed at how much food and family are intertwined. Many days, it feels like a large portion of my time is spent just preparing and cleaning up meals. It's a good thing that I like to cook! I just wish someone would wash the pots and pans for me. I really enjoy eating all of our meals around the table. There is a lot of craziness that happens, but also a lot of fun conversations and bonding time. I'm so glad I have the time to cook homemade meals- I really don't enjoy eating out very much- and if we had to take all the kids with us??? Forget it- that's torture!!
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
mmm sounds like thhey are tryng ur food and loving it and just cant help to want more! youve always been a good cook
Yeah, I'm noticing we need to make more food. David gets home late after dinnertime and if I don't set something aside before we eat, the kids devour it all.
Post a Comment